What is web designing? Design is the method of gathering ideas and arranging them and executing them. Web designing is an identical procedure of creation with the idea of presenting precise content on the web pages on the webserver, which can be accessed by the users through the Internet with the help of a web browser. Web designing refers to the method of designing the websites and it’s production and maintenance. Web designing mainly focuses on the user’s understanding and experience aspects of the website development rather than software development. The terms “web design” and “web development” are often used similarly but web design is technically an alternative of the larger category of web development.
Web designing is the external infrastructure of a website. The design of a website often decides the factor of whether or not the visitors or viewers, leave or continue using the website. In short, web designing acts as the ‘eye-candy’ and make it appealing to the target audience.
Web designing includes various key visual elements such as the layout of the website, colour, graphic design, fonts to be used, the content of the website, the interface designing, authoring, including standardised code, proprietary software, user experience design, search engine optimization etc. Web designers are responsible for the usability of the website and also the web accessibility guidelines.
To design websites a variety of different type of tools are required, depending upon the stages of production. In designing the website, both “vector” and “raster” graphics editors are required to create web images or design models. To create websites the technologies such as the W3C standards like HTML or Hypertext Markup Language and CSS or Cascading Style Sheets are used, it can either be hand-coded or generated by WYSIWYG– HTML editing and web building software. Also, other technologies like markup validators and other testing tools for usability and accessibility to guarantee the guidelines of web accessibility and usability.
Elements of web designing:
The basic elements of web designing are following.
- Layout: Layout is the basic step of website production and web designing. The graphics, advertisements, contents are arranged by deciding the layout of the website. The key goal of the websites is to help the viewer find the information they seek at a glance. This also involves maintaining the balance, consistency and integrity of the design.
- Colour: One of the most significant steps is to choose the right colour coordination. The choice of colours usually leans on the purpose and clientele. It can be simple black and white to multi-coloured designs, conveying the personality of the individual the concerned the brand or organization, using web-safe colours.
- Graphics: Graphics is another significant and important step which involves logos, photographs, icons, clip-arts etc. Graphics is the responsible step that includes everything that enhances the same design of the website. For better user interface and user-friendliness, these require to be placed appropriately. Working with the colour and content of the web pages, while not making it too overcrowded or congested or slow to load is an important part of the designing the website.
- Fonts: Fonts can either make it look appealing or break it. Fonts are an important part of the designing. The use of a various type of fonts can enhance the look of the website and design. Most web browser can only read selective fonts, known as the “web-safe fonts“, so it is always preferred to use these widely accepted group of fonts.
- Content: Content and design always go hand in hand, to give meaning to the website and to enhance the message of the site through the visuals and texts. The content needs to be relevant, effective and beneficial, so the viewers or readers do not get confused and to serve the purpose and give the target audience the information they need to keep them on the website. Content should be optimized for search engines, and be of a suitable length, including relevant keywords.
To design a website, web designers need to have good creative techniques and designing skills along with a strong grip of knowledge in recent technologies of the web. Good web design can attract target audiences and it also should reach industry expectations. Following are some basic information to design a good website.
Basic languages for Web Designing:
- HTML: The Hypertext Markup Language is the most basic and important coding or programming language. It is a must-know for any website. It defines and structures the content of the website.
- CSS: The Cascading Style Sheets is used for styling websites and adding layouts, fonts, and colours.
- SQL: The Structured Query Language is an essential language that is used for database management.
- PHP: PHP is the most popular and distinguished scripting language. It can be rooted in HTML. PHP scripts can only be interpreted on a web server where PHP is installed. It is used to collect form data, send and receive cookies amongst other attributes.
Characteristics of quality web designing:
The following elements are responsible for the good quality web designing and website.
- Reliable navigation: When the audience accesses the website, they seek information which is quick and easy. It is very crucially important to implement navigation that easies for the target audience. The audience doesn’t want to struggle to find data hence the audience will look for the navigation bar to get the information they need. If the navigation is inadequate then users will be discouraged to use the website and they will leave the site. Navigation should be simple, self-explanatory, which involves broad headings that include multiple subtopics so that the audience can find the information quickly.
- Responsive design: In today’s world, with the heavy growth of smartphones, responsive design is more important than ever. To keep the leads on one’s website it is very important to provide a positive experience while browsing through any sort of device. Responsive design ensures the positive experience of the leads in the website regardless of the device being used. The website should adapt to the device to ensure that the website is sized properly according to the device. Responsive designs keep the leads engaged to the respective website for longer.
- Style: Style is an important aspect as it creates consistency across the website and helps the audience in building brand recognition and keep them engaged in the website for a longer period of time. It also helps in creating a good brand image by managing the colour, format, typography etc. Through this, the site is more cohesive.
- Call-To-Action Buttons: Once the lead is on the website, it is important to guide them into converting into clients and only a CTA or Call-To-Action button can do so. Web design is important to make the audience act. A well designed CTA helps the audience in taking the next step. These buttons fit into the web design but stand out on the page. The eyes of the audience should instantly go to these buttons.
- Page speed: Page is the most important thing when it comes to website designing. If everything is perfect but the website runs slow then it can never engage audiences. The page has to load quickly so the audience can access information faster because nobody likes to wait. If the page speed is not appropriate then it might result in losing the leads or target audience.
Importance of Web Designing:
- Sets the first impression: When the target audience visits the website it gives them the first impression of the concerned association. The first impression of the audience decides future reactions and behaviour. If the website fails to create the positive first impression then the audience will never reciprocate. Web designing is significant because of its impact on the target audience of the concerned individual, brand or institute. It directly implies how the audience perceives the brand. The opinion and impression that is made by the website can either get the audience remain on the webpage and learn more about the concerned association or leave the page and turn to a competitor. A good website is only considered if the target of keeping the audience is achieved.
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization: SEO is a technique used to bring one website top on search engine with the aim of getting more visibility than other websites. Without proper SEO planning, the website will not come on top if SERP. Web design elements impacts on publishing content on the website, which in turn affects how the search engine spiders crawl and index the website. To design the website the codes needs to be SEO-friendly.
- Customer service impression: A well-designed website can create an impression on the audience about the customer care facilities. The website acts as a customer service representative. If the website is bright, modern and inviting then the audience would feel greeted, the audience will feel that the association is open and welcoming. Whereas if it’s outdated and unappealing then it leaves an impression of unpleasantness and cold behaviour. The website acts as the digital face of the organization. An update, modern designs are comparable to face to face greetings.
- Trust builder: Viewers do not trust poorly designed websites. If the design is poor and outdated then the audience will prefer to avoid the website, thinking it to be shady. Whereas sophisticated looking websites can attract an audience easily and build faith just by how it looks.
- Market competition: The purpose of creating a website is to attract the target audience and turn them into clients, and websites help to attract audiences globally. The design of the website can make the website stand out in the crowd. The bigger the market competition, the more up to date the website should be. The web design is the only shot for the site to stand out in the market rivalry because every other website has similar services and pricing, hence the only thing that differentiates one from another is the design.
Benefits of web design:
The design of a website is important because it affects the perception of the audience. A good design will be easy to understand and navigate, that helps the audience in finding what they are looking for. A websites design will make the site visitor decide whether to continue or take action or leave the webpage.
- Brand image: The design of the website represents the brand image and brands credibility. The design of the website reflects the cohesiveness of the brand. A well-designed website helps in giving a smooth web surfing experience to the target consumers, by indicating them they are the priority and the brand is concerned with their experience.
- Increases profit: A website that is designed well and looks professional and sophisticated can attract audiences. If the website looks trustworthy then the instincts of the audience will make them eager to take steps towards becoming a potential consumer. Hence, it leads to an increase in revenue or profits.
- Lower maintenance: A well-designed page that is responsive needs very less maintenance, as it has the “one size fits all” approach, resulting in less developing necessities. This also allows focusing on more important factors like digital marketing and content creation.
- Lower bounce rates: A responsive design of the web page will attract more audience and they will stick to the site and will explore more about the concerned association resulting in lower bounce rates.
- Online and offline browsing: A well-designed website must possess both an online and an offline portal. Whether the audience is visiting the site for the first time or many times in sequence, the browsing experience has to be consistent and must give a positive impact. If visitors have to zoom or shrink the screens a lot during their visits then they are likely to leave and try another website. Even the offline versions must give a good experience so that the visitors choose this website over and over again. Hence the designing benefits in keeping the customers satisfied with the experiences of browsing.
Importance of websites in business:
In today’s world websites acts as the backbone of the business. Living in a digital world, a website is extremely vital because of its significance as a digital platform for marketing and trades. A website can be used for the growth of the business through the use of digital platforms and digital marketing and strategies. A website can help in advertising and presenting an individual’s business around the web on social networking sites and online forums.
A website is also important because it helps in establishing credibility as a business. All the websites generally provide a map and directions to the company, shop, organization, etc. to find their location effortlessly. Some important factors are the following.
- 24*7 availability: Designing a website helps the target audience to access the information whenever it’s needed, even when the association is closed for the day, the website will still work and serve the purpose. If the website is informative and quick then it might even turn the target audience to the potential consumer.
- Improves SEO: Mostly consumers undergo online research before making any decision of buying or investing in anything. The appearance of the business in the search engine is completely negative if the business does not own a website. Being visible on top of the search engine is furthermore helps in gaining visibility in the market and gain potential consumer.
- Economically effective: Having a website is a lot cheaper than advertising the business through various media like print, radio or television. Being on the web provides easy advertisement without costing a lot of money.
- Removes competition: Having a website with modern SEO schemes like content creation, link building, social media marketing etc., lifts up the chances of staying on top of the search engine and attract more customers.
- Customer Satisfaction: In today’s digital world, customers tend to rely on the things they have a hold of, in which they can trust and research on their own before trusting. Every potential customer will be eager to see things on their own and having a website severs the purpose perfectly. Customers can get all the information they need for trusting and investing their hard-earned money. Hence, it also helps with customer satisfaction
Work fast, better and easier! Get free quote now!